Recipe: Seafood Spaghettini
From our limited-time Pasta Bonacini menu, this is a light, flavourful dish that you can vary by adding clams, diced cod or a little lobster or crab – or keep it simple and just use scallops and shrimp. A good drizzle of olive oil and a piece of crusty bread with this dish are musts! Many say that you should never serve cheese with seafood, but we like a good helping of grated Parmesan with ours.
- 6-8 pieces of peeled and deveined shrimp, small to medium sized
- 2 medium-sized calamari, tubes cut into rigs, and tentacles lightly diced
- 12-15 pieces bay scallop
- 8-10 mussels
- 2 ½ cups of your favourite store-bought tomato sauce
- Pinch of dried chilli peppers
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- Handful of fresh basil and Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- ½ box dried spaghettini (or fresh)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Good pinch chilli
- In a good-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat, gently fry the onion, garlic and chili with a little or no colour.
- Add the white wine, bring to a simmer, burn of alcohol and reduce a little.
- Add the tomato sauce, simmer gently, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add your seafood, cover with a lid left slightly ajar, turn the heat down and gently simmer.
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a rolling boil and cook the spaghettini.
- Add the parsley and basil to the seafood. Check the seasoning one more time, and adjust as needed.
- Drain the spaghettini, add to the seafood, toss gently, and serve.